The Harbour Authority of Cheticamp is responsible for managing, operating and maintaining three public fishing harbours, through a lease agreement with SCH. We presently manage facilities at Cheticamp (LaDigue), Cheticamp (Town Wharf) and Cheticamp Point.
Latitude: 46°38'15 Longitude: 61°00'30 (Approximate)
Cheticamp (LaDigue) is a fishing harbour located in the village of Cheticamp, an Acadian fishing community of approximately 4000 people on the north-western coast of Cape Breton Island. Cheticamp was settled because of its proximity to lucrative fishing grounds and its deep natural harbour. Presently two main industries, fishing and tourism support the local economy. Situated on the scenic Cabot Trail, Cheticamp accommodates as many as 500,000 visitors each year, many of whom visit the facilities.
Latitude: 46°37'35 Longitude: 61°01'00 (Approximate)
Cheticamp Town wharf is a fishing harbour located in the village of Cheticamp.
Latitude: 46°36'15 Longitude: 61°3'8' (Approximate)
The first to establish a permanent fishing post on Chéticamp La Point (known as Chéticamp Island) were the Robins (merchants from the Island of Jersey, situated in the English Channel, off the coast of Normandie). It was near 1770. Fishermen would come from as far as Prince Edward Island or Arichat to fish during these seasons.